3D Jewelry Scanner Manufacturing Origin

General discussions regarding 3D scanners.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

3D Jewelry Scanner Manufacturing Origin

Post by Javier Odom »

It is sometimes difficult to determine who the actual manufacturer of some of these devices is due to the tendency of manufacturers to duplicate one another.  Even the operating software used to interact with the machines seems to be rebranded and reused.

If you are technically capable, then it does not make sense for you to spend an extra $2,000 to $20,000 on a 3D Jewelry Scanner just for the privilege of being able to call a U.S. or local telephone number where they will most likely not know much more about the device than you.  It would make more sense to purchase the 3D scanner directly from a manufacturer and you either figure things out on your own, you learn how to communicate with the manufacturer for help, or you find a place where other users of that device can share ideas and experiences (**cough** BenchJewelerCAD.com **cough**).

One of the easiest signs of copying are either the device physical case design or the software.  If you see a 3d scanner being sold under one name, for this example we will call it "SCANNERX", and you find another 3d scanner that looks similar but may be a different color or have different labels on it and is called "GLOBEYE" (another made up name) then most likely both of those companies are buying their scanners from somewhere else.  Originally, I thought they would have to be buying from the same place, but as I looked into purchasing a 3d jewelry scanner for myself I learned even the manufacturers are copying one another or simply lying about who is the actual manufacturer.  So, it is possible SCANNERX and GLOBEYE are being bought from different manufacturers who are either copying someone else, lying about being the manufacturer, or are actually the manufacturer.  I have sent pictures of 3d jewelry scanners for sale by U.S. companies to a few Chinese companies asking if the 3d scanner in the photograph was theirs, and usually the Chinese company will claim to be the original manufacturer.  I have taken one image, and asked several Chinese companies this question and they all claim to be the source.

Some of the trickier companies, non-Chinese and Chinese alike, will use the same technology but design their own case and software.  This tends to be the case with some of the higher priced scanners.  (They have to recover "development costs" somehow!)  This is not isolated to 3d jewelry scanners.  Laser welding device companies do this.  Laser engraving device companies do this.  3d printer device companies do this.  The list goes on of companies that repackage someone else's tech, raise the price 5x, 10x or more, and slap a recurring subscription/support fee on top of it all, claiming to be the original developer and manufacturer of the device the whole time.

As I am writing this post, I am in the process of purchasing my first scanner from a Chinese manufacturer.  I have been in communication with this particular company for over a year.  We shall see what comes of it.  At this point in the game, I am not 100% sure the company I am dealing with is the actual designer and manufacturer of the device, but I do know the same device is being sold in the United States for thousands of dollars more than what I am paying.  I feel I still may be getting taken advantage of, but this is my first foray into this realm and I expect to make some mistakes.  Any advice on this topic would be welcomed.

The device I am looking to purchase is from the manufacturer of the Evolight 3D Scanner.  It is the same machine actually.  Interesting enough, Evotech Pacific Technology Solutions does not try to hide this very well.  They stick their logo on it, but they are passing the same Jewel3d v2.0 software that comes with the Thunk3D jewelry scanner.

If you are reading this and wanting some examples, behold:

Medit Solutionix D700
3D-scanner-professional-Medit-Solutionix-D700-front-450x450.png

Artec Micro
artec-micro-3d-scanner.png

Both of these devices have the exact same hardware specifications.  Exact.  Here:
Medit Solutionix D700
Price: $24,000-$25,000
Accuracy: 0.01 mm
Resolution: 0.029 mm
Max Scan Volume: 90 x 60 x 60 mm
Technology: Structured light

Artec Micro
Price: $29,000-$30,000
Accuracy: 0.01 mm
Resolution: 0.029 mm
Max Scan Volume: 90 × 60 × 60 mm
Technology: Structured light

Both of these companies claim to be the manufacturer.  The twist here, Medit is a South Korean company.

Just for fun, this image is from indiamart.com, and the same image is used in an eLUXE3D brochure for two of their devices:
jewellery-3d-scanner-500x500.png

eLUXE3d SILVER 2.0
ELUXE3D-SILVER-2_0.png

eLUXE3d GOLD 6.4
ELUXE3D-GOLD-6_4.png

The only solution I know of at this point is to physically travel to the source, talk with the designers, developers, and assembly personnel and watch the devices getting developed, tested, and manufactured.  Anything short of this is a gamble.
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers

Return to “General”