Presidium Synthetic Diamond Tester II

Jewelry Forums related to Diamonds, and all aspects of diamonds.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

Presidium Synthetic Diamond Tester II

Post by Javier Odom »

I had some discussions with our Appraiser about the Presidium Synthetic Diamond Tester II. Our discussion caused me to do a little reading about the device.

After learning more about the Presidium Synthetic Diamond Tester II it has become my understanding that this is not in fact a natural vs laboratory diamond tester but rather a Type I vs Type IIa tester. The device relies on the very low probability of encountering natural Type IIa diamonds. This becomes more obvious as one reads the literature provided by Presidium, and when you look at the top of the tester to read the lights. The top light indicators of the device show "Natural" on the left and "Type IIa Diamond" on the left. It does not overtly call something a "Laboratory Created Diamond." Their marketing says, "Enhanced with additional features, the Synthetic Diamond Screener II is a portable desktop device developed by Presidium to help screen out Type IIa colorless diamonds (usually CVD/HPHT laboratory-grown diamonds) from the natural Type Ia colorless diamond." Note it says it differentiates between Type IIa colorless diamonds and natural Type Ia colorless diamonds. Also note, it says Type IIa colorless diamonds are "usually CVD/HPHT laboratory-grown diamonds," the keyword being "usually." The literature also recommends using other testing devices and lists the limitations of this device (mm sizes, acceptable diamond color ranges, operating environments, et cetera).

If you are going to use this device, or any identification device for that matter, be sure to caveat your words and with this specific device to only provide the results given, that a diamond is testing as "Type Ia" or "Type IIa" or is inconclusive.
Attachments
user_handbook_sds_ii_en.pdf
(396.37 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
David
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Re: Presidium Synthetic Diamond Tester II

Post by David »

So do you jsut tell people it tests Type Ia or Type IIa instead of saying it tests natural or lab?
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

Re: Presidium Synthetic Diamond Tester II

Post by Javier Odom »

David wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:07 am So do you jsut tell people it tests Type Ia or Type IIa instead of saying it tests natural or lab?
Exactly.

This stems from our desire to be knowledgeable, ethical, and the subject matter experts for our Clients. If we were to change the terminology that would not benefit our Clients. If a Client asks for more information, we can delve into it with them at that time.

Return to “General”