Formlabs Form 3 Samples

Discussions regarding Formlabs 3D printers.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

Formlabs Form 3 Samples

Post by Javier Odom »

[... originally posted at BenchJewelerCAD.com Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:09 pm ...]

I recently requested samples from Formlabs. They attempted to contact me for a telephone discussion regarding my goals in 3D printing, but I did not make the time to schedule that call. I received the samples recently.

The sample I requested was of a ring. They sent me two identical rings in their purple castable resin. They call it, "Castable Wax Resin". From their website:

"With 20% wax fill, Castable Wax Resin captures intricate features and offers smooth surface finish for accurate castings with zero ash content and clean burnout. Printed parts are strong enough to handle with no post-cure required, allowing for a fast and simple workflow[.]"

"For jewelry: Castable Wax Resin offers high strength and stiffness, making it capable of printing ultrafine structures. The high green strength ensures excellent shape retention for thin patterns such as wire filigree. For heavier jewelry, we recommend using Castable Wax 40 Resin."

"Supports print resolutions: 25 and 50 microns.
Post-curing not required."

The design of the rings is intentionally to showcase their printer. The practicality of the ring design is near zero, in gold, unless it was worn exclusively on special events by someone who is very aware of the design. It would be a more robust ring in platinum.

One of the rings is missing the tiniest of tiny prongs at the side of the ring. However, the practicality of this prong to begin with is questionable. Overall, two beautiful prints.

BURNOUT
The samples came with two small pamphlets. The top pamphlet was a single fold paper which includes the following burnout schedule:

Code: Select all

PHASE			TIME		SCHEDULE C		SCHEDULE F
Insert Flasks		0 min		21 C			70 F
Ramp			60 min		4.7 c / min		8.4 F/min
Hold			480 min		300 C			572 F
Ramp			100 min		4.5 C/min		8.1 F/min
Hold			180 min		750 C			1382 F
Ramp			60 min		-4.0 C/min		-7.1 F/min
Hold (casting window)	Up to 2 hours	512 C or casting temp	954 F or casting temp
Their burnout pamphlet has a clean graph, and some additional information as well.

The other pamphlet had general marketing information on the unit, to include Printing Properties.

Code: Select all

Technology		Low Force Stereolithography (LFS)tm 3D printing
Build Volume		14.5x14.5x18.5cm 5.7x5.7x7.3in
Layer Thickness		25-300 microns .001-.012in
XY Resolution		25 microns (0.001 in)
Laser Spot Size		85 microns (0.0033 in)
Supports		Auto-Generated, Light-Touch Removal
Warranty and Service	One Year Warranty included Extended Warranty, Pro Service, and Enterprise Plan available
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers

Return to “Formlabs”