What Air Compressor Do You Use

General discussions regarding bench work.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

What Air Compressor Do You Use

Post by Javier Odom »

What air compressor do you use in your jewelry shop?

We have approximately four (4) end-points for our air hoses, and the hoses travels from one room into another.  We have been using whatever was on sale at the local hardware store for too long.  It is a Porter Cable, 6 gal, 150PSI, 2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI air compressor.  That 2.6 SCFM is what is limiting us.  So, I ordered a California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Oil-Free Air Compressor, 2 HP, 10 gal, 6.40 CFM @ 40 PSI & 5.30 CFM @ 90 PSI air compressor.  The air compressor I ordered is listed to operate at 70 dB.  It is also a stainless steel tank.  There is an aluminum option with model 10020AC, but I opted against that as it will be stationary and at $380 I can just replace it if it rusts through (I have never done it but my father told me if it does rust through we can fill it).

My hope is that by more than doubling the SCFM and having a solid PSI will keep everyone operating well.
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

RE: What Air Compressor Do You Use

Post by Javier Odom »

The California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Oil-Free 2 HP, 10 gal Air Compressor we purchased has been a great buy!  It is absolutely the quietest air compressor I have ever heard!  It is quieter than our buffing machine.  We used to have a wooden cover with insulation inside for our older pancake air compressor and it was still so loud we had to be sure to close the polishing room door.  This new air compressor has more than double the SCFM and maybe has half the noise.

If you are looking for an air compressor and have the space (Dimensions: 16" L x 15.1" W x 35.9" H) for this, it is a very worthwhile option.
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers

Return to “General”