Scanning with the Thunk3D Jewelry Scanner and Jewel3D v2.0

Discussions regarding Thunk3D scanners.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

Scanning with the Thunk3D Jewelry Scanner and Jewel3D v2.0

Post by Javier Odom »

I am not 100% sure it matters, but I turn all the lights off in the room when I am doing scanning.  My monitors are facing away from the 3D scanner.

PREPARATIONS
For anything shiny, which covers the vast majority of jewelry, you will need to spray some type of matte powder onto the object.  Use whatever makes you happy for this.  I have been using Gold Bond No Mess Body Powder Spray, Fresh scent, from a spray can.  I hold the object about two feet away and I spray.  The 2 feet allows for a light thin coat to cover the object.

INITIATE SCAN
  1. In the Jewel3D v2.0 software, click the new scan button on the top left.
  2. Enter a Project Name.  This will be the name of the project directory/folder.
  3. Enter an Item Number.  This will be the name of the ASC and STL files.
  4. Scan Target, as either Onesie or Inlay.  I do not know what these mean or do.
  5. Scan Mode, as Single or Multiple.
  6. Scan Path, as Fine Scan, or Fast Scan.
  7. Dictionary, is probably a translation issue for "Directory", and this is the target directory/folder location for the files.
  8. Exposure Gain, between 1 and 48.  This has a live preview in the bottom left video. Set it so your scan object is not red.  For me, this is usually at 1 or 2 when using the flat plate with circle cutouts.
  9. Once you have everything set to your liking, press the checkbox button to begin the scan.
TRIM THE PLANE
  1. Trim the plane by raising or lowering the plane from the bottom left video settings.  I highly suggest you use the middle mouse (my default) pressed down to change the perspective, then adjust the plane.
  2. Click the checkbox button to continue.
IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE SCAN
  1. Click the X in a Circle button to erase the scan.
  2. Click the "Play" triangle button to start a new scan.
You want the scan to be as complete as possible.

Even if you select a Single Scan Mode in the beginning, you will have the option to do multiple scans after the first scan is complete.  I have not tried this, but I see the button there saying to add a scan.

TIP: If your object does not have many, if any, distinctive points, perhaps it is a sphere or such, set the plane lower to include the base as part of your scan.  You can then use the base as reference points for aligning multiple scans.  You will have to manually align them, and will have to trim the planes.  (The software will see the planes as part of the object.)

TO ADD SCANS
  1. After doing the first scan, click the Start Scan button.  (Not the Add scan button.  Add scan assumes is a redo of the current scan, and adds to it.)
  2. Do this as many times as you want, changing the object on the plate as you see fit.  Then click the checkbox Align button.
I usually have 3 to 4 scans at a minimum, as there are often vacancies which need to be cleaned up with any less.

ALIGNING SCANS
If the object being scanned has unique details, the automatic align works pretty well.  It is interesting to watch the software align multiple scans.  Frustrating when they do not align.

The software may just quite, which is very frustrating after you have made multiple scans.  The only thing to do is start over.

WRAPPING SCANS
  1. Mesh Quality can be set from 1 to 6.
  2. Fillings Denoise can be set from 0 to 9.
  3. Smoothen can be set from 0 to 50.
  4. Decimate can be set from 5 to 100.
  5. Once you have the settings as you see fit, click the checkbox button.
MESH OPTIMIZATION
Use the tools to cleanup the scan.  I usually just trim here.  You can select ranges, or individual triangles and polygons.  This is most obvious with fast scans that have larger fewer triangles.
Last edited by Javier Odom on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers

Return to “Thunk3D”