How to Change Yema Bi-Polar Titanium Watch Battery

Discussion regarding general horology, watches, or related topics which currently do not have their own forum.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

How to Change Yema Bi-Polar Titanium Watch Battery

Post by Javier Odom »

Had a Yema Bi-Polar Titanium watch come in for a battery replacement.  I looked up how to change the battery on this specific watch and spent more than a minute looking, which for me means it was annoying to find the solution ... I had to read several forum threads and most of them were people saying they did not know how to change the battery.  So, my contribution to the wild wild web is another forum thread that provides no new information to the universe, but does make it more accessible.

TOOLS
  • I made a plastic wedge out of a plastic spoon.  I cut the spoon potion off, and the rounded end, and filed a wedge from the widest portion.
  • Sharp steel wedge (ideal if has a "V" shaped blade with a small angle edge).
  • Small bench hammer
  • Small flat head screwdrivers.
  • Small box or putty to hold screws.
  • Fine tweezers.
  • Plastic "cell" tweezers.
  • Dust blower to remove dust from inside the watch case.
  • Fine cloth to remove fingerprints from glass (there are 2 crystals and what appear to be 2 internal crystals that hold the movement in place).
  • Soft cloth (does not release lint ... I do not know what material this is) to rest watch on when hammering.
  • Possibly a watch back press with plastic fittings.
PROCESS
  • Remove the strap and clean off any exterior debris.  (You could leave this if you are so inclined but it is easier to manipulate the case without the strap.  This requires two flat head screwdrivers, one on each side, and can be a balancing act, but is easy enough if you are familiar with the process.)
  • On the "SOUTH" side of the watch, locate the bezel marker that is slightly lifted.  On the watch I was working it was located on the "12 S" marker, located at the 6 o'clock location of the back of the watch.
  • I folded the small cloth several times and set it on the bench.
  • I set the watch on two lugs on top of the soft folded cloth.
  • Using the plastic wedge I aligned it on a solid surface and tapped the top of the wedge with a small bench hammer.  Initially this did nothing, but I found an ideal angle and it started to lift the edge of the bezel.  As this bezel has a crystal in it I did not want to strike the wedge too hard and risk bending the bezel and then breaking the crystal.  So I did some solid strikes until it budged.
  • Once the bezel started moving I took the sharp steel wedge (mine has a flattened "V" angle to the blade, think Benchmade tonto knife edge but not as drastic an angle), and did the exact same angle as the plastic wedge and stuck the back of the blade a few times.  It quickly opened more.
  • I then took the plastic wedge and spun it around the edges of the bezel opening it more.  I did this gently so as to not damage the gasket.
  • Once the bezel was lifted I just took my fingers and removed it completely.
  • Next I took a small flat head screwdriver and unscrewed the two screws located on the SOUTH dial at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions.  I put the screws in a box (old cardboard top to a ring box).
  • Using gravity, I removed the watch dial.  (I gently tipped the watch and the dial slid, so I kept tipping it until it started to fall and I caught the edges of the dial with my fingertips and placed it where I could easily pick it back up when I needed it.)
  • Here it was very familiar territory.  I loosened the cell strap screw then slid the cell strap to the side and removed the battery.  (362 if I remember correctly)
  • Put the new battery (362) into the movement, then reversed my steps...
  • Blew air to remove any dust (no dust was in the area) from the movement.
  • Put the SOUTH dial back onto the watch with the two screw holes lined up at 9 and 3 o'clock.
  • Screwed the dial back in with the two screws.
  • Blew air into watch case and onto the SOUTH dial to remove any dust.
  • Wiped the crystals clean of any fingerprints or scuffs.
  • Using no tools I aligned the bezel and pushed it back into place.
  • Just to make sure it was on tight I used the watch press with oversized plastic fittings to press the bezel in tight.
  • Wiped the watch again.
  • Put the velcro strap back on the watch ... if you removed it in the first place.
  • Tada!
Attached to this post are images of the watch style that I worked on, but this is not the exact watch, as I just downloaded some pix off the net and am using those.

Hope this helps someone....
Attachments
yema-bipole-titanium-front.jpg
yema-bipole-titanium-back.jpg
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers
rjt
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Re: How to Change Yema Bi-Polar Titanium Watch Battery

Post by rjt »

your pictures are broken
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

Post by Javier Odom »

rjt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:11 pm your pictures are broken
Thank you. I have replaced the images.
Yesta
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Post by Yesta »

Hello,
Thanks for sharing
David
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Post by David »

Still waiting to see one of these in person. And when I do I know exactly where I'll go for my instrunctions!

Return to “General”