Sizing Platinum Rings

General discussions regarding bench work.
Bemamali
Verified
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Fire Sizing Platinum Rings

Post by Bemamali »

When it comes to working with platinum, its best to use a laser welder as much as possible. Although it may take a little more time its safer on the jewelry's stones and much safer for your eyes. Speaking from experience I prefer this method over torch with platinum any day.

The first Step just like any other sizing is to clean the rings of any cheese.

Second Step- You will cut and measure for the sizing in the ring like normal.
" if you are going down in size, cut a little more than needed so you can fit a piece of sizing stock between incision of shank."

Third Step - Fit sizing stock into incision where it fits flush. Then you want to tack the sides of stock in each corner of stock to shank.
(400 Voltage power and at least 1.80% on beam size.)

Fourth Step- Take a very thin separating disk and cut a small ditch where sizing stock is tacked in.
You want to go about 60% to 70% in depth.

Fifth Step - laser ditch across one time with no wire. ( this will bind everything and smooth out ditch.)
Then fill in ditch with platinum wire. (400 Voltage power and 1.80% on beam size.)

Sixth Step - Use sanding drum and emory paper to clean up shank, fill in any porosity like normal and proceed to polishing.
David
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Re: Sizing Platinum Rings

Post by David »

Platinum sometimes scares me.

Would this work if the ring has emeralds channel set in it just above the half mark or do you have to pull the emeralds first? Does the ring still heat up when you size it like this? Can you put heat shield or keep the ring in water without pulling the emeralds?
Bemamali
Verified
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Post by Bemamali »

Great question David! The Laser will not heat up the ring enough to hurt the stones. However you want to avoid the laser beam hitting the stones especially with a higher MM size on the beam. Unfortunately theres not any heat prevention i know of that works for the laser and stones. I do know if you take a black sharpie, and sharpie over where you are going to tack. It will reduce the laser from bouncing or reflecting off the surface. Kinda like how if you are laser welding and it BBQ's your finger tips. Even though you didn't hit your finger. Its the laser reflecting or bouncing off the metals surface. Let me know if i can answer anything else. Thank you and best of luck with that ring!
rjt
Forum Apprentice
Forum Apprentice

Post by rjt »

what if your laser is out of batteries?

Return to “General”