2 carat diamond cuff links 14 karat gold 4 ct twt

General discussions regarding designing jewelry.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

2 carat diamond cuff links 14 karat gold 4 ct twt

Post by Javier Odom »

I have a Client that wants us to design a set of 14kt gold cuff links with a solitaire 2 ct round diamond set in each cuff link.  The challenges will be cup and face height as well as overall weight.  We also want to ensure a secure post and toggle mechanism as we do not want these to ever fall out.  That, yet we want them to be easy to manipulate.  It can be frustrating sometimes putting cuff links on, especially if one is in a hurry and on the go.

If you know of any resources for inspiration I would appreciate a link.
Take care, and God bless.
Javier Odom - Walt's Jewelers
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

RE: 2 carat diamond cuff links 14 karat gold 4 ct twt

Post by Javier Odom »

As this is my first venture into custom cuff links I must admit, I am learning about stainless spring steel, fusing steel with gold, and clothing material wear, amongst other things.

I truly did not know how my cuff links "sprung" prior to this project.  I had an idea, but I had never taken a cuff link apart, or a dozen of them, to learn the different mechanism designs.  I also learned about cups, faces, insert members, back plates (if you buy findings/cufflink blanks premade), posts, hinge pins or free end, toggle or bullet clasps, fixed ball, et cetera.

I read what Mr. Charles Lewton-Brain had to say about cuff links and am very grateful for laser welders which allow us to do things which one could not previously accomplish.  I may not have had to tear apart so many cuff links had I read this book first.  Oh well, I had fun.
Javier Odom
Verified
Forum Senior Journeyman
Forum Senior Journeyman

RE: 2 carat diamond cuff links 14 karat gold 4 ct twt

Post by Javier Odom »

For this first pair I am considering ordering the posts and toggles.

Return to “Jewelry Design”